It is important to understand why a particular social media format has gained so much popularity and why it is being preferred over others. TikTok launched in the U.S. as a video-only social network platform in 2017. It quickly rose in popularity, unlike its social media counterparts like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. TikTok is a social media platform that Zhang Yiming, ByteDance’s company, created. The original launch of TikTok in 2016 was under the name Douyin. Zhang extended the app’s reach worldwide in 2017.
It was downloaded 663M times in the first year, beating Instagram, Snapchat Facebook and YouTube as the most downloaded app by September 2018. Sensor Tower, a mobile intelligence firm, stated that six months later it had reached one billion global downloads. This is not surprising as TikTok’s U.S. predecessor Vine also experienced rapid and substantial growth over its lifespan. These video sharing platforms are so popular.
What is TikTok
TikTok allows you to create videos on your mobile device using a simple and intuitive interface. TikTok lets users create videos tailored to their needs by using a range of effects, music, and sound clips. Videos can be as short as 15 seconds to as long at 60 seconds.
Why is TikTok so popular
To understand why TikTok’s popularity, you need to know what Vine was. Vine, a mobile platform that enabled video creation, was popular before they were so accessible and user-friendly.
It was a short form video creation app that allowed users make and share six-second clips. Vine was discontinued by Twitter in 2017 after being purchased. However, Vine’s popularity was not lost. TikTok came along. TikTok’s popularity was a result of Vine’s famed influencers. TikTok became the fourth most-downloaded non-gaming application of all time in 2019.
TikTok: Real estate agents should use it!
TikTok has many reasons to make yourself known as an agent. There are over 14,000,000 active users on TikTok each month in the U.S. and they spend an average of 47 mins per use. TikTok may seem like it is only used by Generation Z. In fact, about 50% of TikTok users are between the ages 18 and 34. An additional 20% are between the ages 35 and 44. They are also the most likely to purchase a home. 37% have reported that they have a household of over $100K. TikTok is a great platform for targeting your target market. This is an excellent way to use Real Estate Digital Marketing.
Real Estate TikTok Examples
Some real estate agents have already expanded their reach into social media. Here are some examples from active TikTok video: Daisy Daniels and Silvano Barocio (Las Vegas Realtor).
Tips to Elevate Yourself As an Agent Using TikTok
These are some tips for TikTok marketing. If you’re interested, but not sure where or how to start, use these tips to create video content that can reach over 10 million users in the homebuying population.
- Find evergreen content. Content that can be used over time and is not tied to a trend is called evergreen content.
- Home tours. TikTok’s filters and effects make it easy to turn your listings in to virtual home tours.
- Follow TikTok trends. You will start to see videos on your “for me page” that are similar to others, but have different content. Make use of this opportunity and think about how real estate can be incorporated into these trends.
- Hashtags can be very important. Use the best hashtags to share tips for first-time buyers, virtual home tours, and participate in TikTok’s trend. Include the hashtag that corresponds to a trend in your tweets!
- Be creative. Be creative. TikToks utilizes artificial intelligence and an algorithm to ensure that user content is seen. It’s possible to make a viral video without expecting it to go viral!